Monday, July 14, 2008

Joyeux 14 Juillet!

Today is Bastille Day in France. I have always held a special place in my little heart of hearts for le 14 Juillet, as it is known in France, and usually find some small way to mark the day.

So far today, Little Sprout and I have watched the Disney animated feature, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Well, about the first quarter of it anyway. Little Sprout lost interest when it became clear that there were no puppies in the story. He liked the gargoyles though. We also read a bit more of his new book The Tale of Despereaux by Kate Dicamillo. Big Daddy has been reading it aloud for the past two nights. Don't you just love story time?

I'm feeling creative, so I'll devise a Bastille Day-themed meal today. And of course when we build towers with blocks today I'll most assuredly exclaim "Storm the Bastille!"

Well, Little Sprout just woke up from his morning nap, so I have to go liberate him from his prison cell crib. I leave you with the delightful words of Clotilde Dusoulier of Chocolate & Zucchini who also writes about the French national holiday. If you're not already a C&Z devotée, give her blog a once-over. There are many, many good things to see.

No comments: