Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No Foolin' — International Tatting Day

For many, April 1st is a day for tomfoolery, pranks and hoaxes. But for tatters it is a day devoted to furthering a lacemaking art.

[Photo reprinted with kind permission from Emma]

April Fool's Day has always seemed (to me) to be the perfect choice for International Tatting Day.

Why? Everything sounds better en francais, n'est-ce pas?

Tatting is called frivolité in French. (See what I mean?)

The French call April Fool's Day Poisson d'Avril or "April Fish" Day. On this day, French children sometimes tape a picture of a fish on the back of their schoolmates, crying “Poisson d'Avril” when the prank is discovered. It is also customary to indulge in delicious chocolates in the shape of fishes.

Tatters love a good laugh almost as much as they love chocolate! So choosing a day wherein chocolate and lighthearted fun are de rigeur (I'm having way too much fun with this...) is la meilleure chose à faire, bien sûr.

I do think I shall send my local tatting friend a small tatting gift of chocolate fishes and well-wishes in honor of International Tatting Day. No foolin'!



UPDATE: I have not been successful in finding a Celtic fish pattern to tat today. So I am contenting myself with working on an older project I started but put away. It is a lovely little two-shuttle oval medallion pattern I found at This 'n'Tat website. I'm guessing from the copyright dates that I printed this pattern out in the year 2000. The pattern itself was listed as a Pattern of the Month - April 1998. There is a tiny copyright notice at the bottom of the diagram: copyright 1998 Lisa C. Trumble

This'n'Tat is still a great site for tatting patterns and instruction, even though it hasn't been updated since 2007. (Hey, I can relate. My own tatting website Ambitatterous hasn't been updated since April, 2004.)

Happy International Tatting Day!


1 comment:

Gina said...

I love the way you have combined Mark & Susan's patterns. Especially the one with 2 solid colors. It really stands out.
:-) Gina