Tuesday, March 4, 2008

-10 Hit Points for Gary Gygax

[Image Credit: wikimedia]

The deathnell tolled today for Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax. He rolled his last 20-sided die. He was 69. Farewell, Dungeon Master.

I played D&D in the eighth grade. Specifically, in eighth-period study hall waiting for the bell to ring.

I haven't thought about that time in my life or that idle pursuit in more years than I care to mention. But after hearing the news of the fantasy game developer's death, I e-mailed my old role-playing pals to suggest we pay tribute to the man responsible for fueling our creative imaginations.

And then a remarkable thing happened. I got replies from everyone I had contacted. Everyone.

Apparently I'm not the only one who felt a bittersweet pang of nostalgia at the news.

So this weekend we'll gather around a table, raise our glasses, nosh nostalgic D&D snacks, recount old war stories and before long we'll all be transported back. Those were the good old days.

Goop
Here's a sweet pang of nostalgia courtesy of my old DM's mom, who made a batch of these whenever her son asked her. He would bring them to school in a brown paper bag and store them in his locker. The contents of the bag would morph from perfect, coconut-covered balls into a solid mass of fudgy, sweet "goop" that we would devour right out of the bag. (I know, how gross, eh?) It was a messy mouthful of pure chocolate love.



This well-worn recipe has been guarded jealously since my D&D days. It is a must-have for any late-night gaming adventure. I also make a batch of these every year around Christmastime, since they look a bit like snowballs. But I still call it "Goop."

If you can't make out the penciled-in instructions at the bottom, here is what it says:

Don't use nuts.

2 ½ hours before serving, place in ziplock baggie and store in a locker until squishy.

DM - Daren McCormick "Growf!" "Huey, Huey, Huey!"

I invite you to whip up a batch. Then post a comment back here to let me know what you think. I predict you will love them. They may even change your life.

Just like Gary Gygax did.



If you made it this far, here is a link to a YouTube video parody of Dungeons & Dragons.

Dragon Booster - Dr. Demento - Dungeons & Dragons

I would have embedded the video to make it an easy, one-click experience, but the content owner didn't want other people embedding this video on their sites.


No comments: