Monday, March 3, 2008

Ward Off Winter Chill

What do daffodils, kites and Girl Scout cookies have in common? They're all associated (at least in my little corner of the world) with the month of March. March is a tenuous month, not unlike the creamy filling in an oreo cookie. It is sandwiched between two seasons.

John at From Here to Paternity describes March's delicate nature, likening Winter and Spring to roommates who don't see eye to eye. It's a great read, so please go see what he has to say.

Whether the weather in your corner of the world fits the bill or not, here are a few of my favorite early Spring indulgences to ward off Winter's chill and cure cabin-fever.

Daffodil Days
What is it about a bunch of fluffy, yellow daffodils that brighten your entire outlook? I always contribute to Daffodil Days because it makes me feel happy to have fresh flowers on my table, plus the contribution goes toward cancer research.

National Kite Festival
"Brushstrokes in the Sky" is the theme for this year's kite-flying extravaganza. Why not get out of the house and put up a kite?
All those bright "brushstrokes" will paint your heart light.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the Washington Monument, Washington, D.C.

Girl Scout Cookies
As I do most Saturdays, I went to the grocery store this past Saturday to pick up a few things. And there they were! True harbingers of Spring: Girl Scouts selling cookies. What a sight for winter-weary eyes.

I rushed right over to grab a few boxes because, honestly, Girl Scout cookies are what get me through the month of March. You can bet that those girls will see me at their cookie table again.

What gets you through those dismal days before the snowdrops, hyacinth and crocus poke their heads through the last of the melting snow? Is it the sound of songbirds in the garden? Or tournament-style college basketball?

No comments: