Monday, June 2, 2008

Crock Pot to the Rescue

Since I started working a freelance editing/writing job from home, I've had to kick my creativity up a few notches to accomplish routine tasks around the house.

Crock pot to the rescue! I don't use my crock pot all that much, except for keeping cider drinks or cocktail meatballs hot for parties. Oh, I used to pull it out for the rare meal because of one or two memorable slow cooker recipes I've kept over the years. Suffice it to say that until two weeks ago my crock pot and I had barely gotten acquainted. Now we're fast friends.

No, make that best friends — the back door kind. Here is the recipe for today's ultra-easy dish:

Source: Slow Cooker Favorites 2008 magazine

I have altered this recipe based on items I had on hand in my pantry. It is presented here as I made it, not as it is printed in the magazine.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Microwave time: 20 seconds
Cook: 4 to 5 hours (low) or 2 to 2 1/2 hours (high)
Slow Cooker: 3 1/2 or 4 quart size
Oven: 350° F

Plum-Sauced Chicken in Tortillas

1 8-ounce jar plum sauce
1 cup V-8 juice
¼ cup hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
2 teaspoons fresh ginger
½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
1 ¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken tenders
6 8-inch flour tortillas, warmed in microwave
2 cups shredded red cabbage (shredded broccoli is a good alternative)

Mix together plum sauce, V-8 juice, hoisin sauce, tapioca, ginger, five spice powder, salt and red pepper. Add chicken; stir to coat.

Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2½ hours.

To serve, spoon chicken onto each warm tortilla. Drizzle with some of the sauce. Top each tortilla with desired amount of shredded red cabbage or other favorite toppings. Roll up.
Bon appetit!

No comments: