Friday, February 15, 2008

More Sad News

Last night I pulled the "night shift." That means I was letting convalescing dogs in and out, in and out, and in and out to potty ad nauseum. Since I wasn't getting any decent sleep, I jumped on the computer to catch up on Marty's blog, A Man With Bread.

Farewell Kelly Kirk
Marty had e-mailed me a few days earlier to pass along the very sad news of Kelly Kirk's death. Kelly was 42. She was a vibrant lady and devoted wife, who died on August 6th of complications after gastric bypass surgery. She had been in the ICU on a respirator since then and was taken off the respirator on February 9th. This news has affected me greatly. I mean, I've known several people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery and everything went fine. I am still in shock.

Update: February 16, 2008 -- Today's memorial service was a full house -- a lovely tribute to a beautiful soul. Marty delivered an earnest eulogy that was a (damn fine!) tribute to her memory. You did Kelly proud.

My heart aches for her husband Joe, who has endured (with hope?) without his life-bonded mate since August and now must find the strength to carry on. Take heart, Joe. Find peace. And always let her special place in your heart be filled with love.

No comments: